Installing new gpg versions

DUELL, BOB bd9439 at att.com
Thu Oct 3 18:42:08 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have a likely naïve question about upgrading gpg on my UNIX (Solaris SPARC) server.

Let's suppose I have an "old" version of gpg installed here: /opt/app/p1sas1c1/apps/gnupg. I installed the software using my "application" account and had my SA execute these commands as "root":

ln -s /opt/app/p1sas1c1/apps/gnupg/bin/gpg       /usr/local/bin/gpg;
ln -s /opt/app/p1sas1c1/apps/gnupg/gpg-zip       /usr/local/bin/gpg-zip;
ln -s /opt/app/p1sas1c1/apps/gnupg/bin/gpgsplit  /usr/local/bin/gpgsplit;
ln -s /opt/app/p1sas1c1/apps/gnupg/bin/gpgv      /usr/local/bin/gpgv
cp -p /opt/app/p1sas1c1/apps/gnupg/share/man/man1/* /usr/local/man/man1

Now, suppose I want to upgrade to a new version.  I download the source and read the INSTALL and README files on how to proceed.  All good so far.

My question: if I use these commands:

./configure --prefix=/opt/app/p1sas1c1/apps/gnupg
make
make install

Should I first delete the contents of the existing target directory or will "make install" install everything correctly?

It's not a big deal for me right now, because I'm building a new server for our team.  I'm just writing up some simple install instructions for future reference.

As a side comment, I discovered that I need to define the "umask" properly during the install process; the default value denied "read and execute" permissions to "other".  I used "umask 002" to overcome this issue.  If this is generally useful, perhaps the INSTALL document can be revised.

Thanks,

Bob