First steps with GPG, am I off to a good start?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Oct 11 05:32:20 CEST 2013

On 10/10/2013 11:25 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> (a lot of stuff snipped)

... Or, you know, you could just stick with the defaults.  :)

IMO, new users should be encouraged to use the defaults.  This gets them
using GnuPG and developing their skills with it.  If, once they develop
their skills, they decide that their needs are not well-met by the
defaults they can always create a new certificate that's fine-tuned how
they like.

GnuPG already has a learning curve like the Matterhorn.  Let's give some
thought to that before we start advising new users to tweak every knob
and dial on GnuPG's controls.  :)