GnuPG 1.4.15 RAM EATER? Or just a bug?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Oct 17 10:41:36 CEST 2013

Luis,

On Thursday 17 October 2013 at 03:48:46, Luis Suzuki wrote:
> I noticed that this 1.4.15 version consumes much more RAM than previous
> versions.My Linux desktop background wallpaper turns blank(dark) when
> encrypting/decrypting operations (which is a novelty,and that is why I
> detected this "problem") and when I execute the free command to analyse RAM
> the used RAM reaches the maximum level of my system(from a relatively low
> level).Is it a bug? Does it have any implications to the encryption
> effectiveness?

thanks for reporting your issue!

The changes from 1.4.14 to 1.4.15 should probably not affect memory usage.
So you would also look into other potential causes like different build
circumstances (different compiler, library versions, parameters, machine
target).

So in order to get a good hint about your specific issue you should give more
infos about the two builds you are using. (Just out of curiosity: is there a
specific reason why you are not using Gnupg 2.0 which is the generally
recommended version?)

Best,
Bernhard

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner