2048 or 4096 for new keys? aka defaults vs. Debian

Paul R. Ramer free10pro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 04:52:52 CET 2013

On 10/26/2013 07:36 AM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 10/26/2013 12:16 AM, Paul R. Ramer wrote:
>> I am not saying that any one should use 2048 bit RSA because the DoD
>> uses it.  It is just a data point.  That being said, I am doubtful that
>> classified discussions are being done over email.
>
> CAC is used for encrypted email, at least according to Wikipedia.  Not
> having a CAC myself, I'm not in a position to know further.  If people
> are interested, I'll ask a couple of CAC-carrying friends and see what
> they say.

That is correct.  It is used for encrypted email, but it does not mean
that is is used to secure classified discussions or transmit classified
documents.  The CAC serves more as an identity card and authentication
token more than anything else in my experience.  If the CAC card is used
to encrypt anthing beyond unclassified, for oficial use only, or
PII-sensitive (containing personally identifiable information) documents
and information is unknown to me.  Even if it were, knowledge of the
fact would likely be restricted.

But do ask.  I would like to hear what other people's experiences have
been. :-)

Cheers,

--Paul