Recommended key size for life long key

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 14:18:12 CEST 2013

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Josef Schneider <josef at netpage.dk> wrote:

> I just use 4096 bit because that is the biggest size my OpenPGP Cards can
> handle.  In my opinion using a smart card instead of online keys increase
> security far more than strange large key sizes!
> I also see no point using less than 4096 because modern hardware is fast
> enough. Maybe my keys last longer that way.

One of the problems that this kind of discussion highlights is that moving
to new keys is a real pest.  People keep keys long after they really should
and are reluctant to change keys because getting a given key certified and
trusted is a pain - even with the web of trust.

In a more ideal world, no one would want a key to last longer than a few
years, and replacing keys at regular intervals would be the norm.