Can I revitalise an old key-pair?

John Clizbe John at enigmail.net
Mon Sep 2 00:06:04 CEST 2013

Pete Stephenson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM, MartinHvidberg <martin at hvidberg.net> wrote:
>> Or do I need to get one of my old computers up and running, hoping to find
>> some sort of key file there.
>
> If you go through your old systems and are able to find the relevant
> secret key files or the GPG/PGP keyring files, then you can continue
> using that keypair. If you cannot find the secret key, you'll need to
> create a new keypair. :/

On *nix and similar systems (MacOSX, Cygwin) GnuPG stores keyring files in
~/.gnupg (~ = your login directory: /home/<username> or /Users/<username>)

On Windows XP and older, keyring files were stored in
<drive>:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Gnupg

Windows Vista and newer versions use
<drive>:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\gnupg

You'll want the contents for all of the directories you can find. A tool such
as the linux-based SystemRescueCD [http://www.sysresccd.org/‎ ] makes this
task somewhat easier.

You should be able to use the newest set of keyring files directly. The keys
in the older keyring files may be imported later.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
SKS/Enigmail/PGP-EKP                  or: John ( @ ) Enigmail DAWT net

A:"An odd melody / island voices on the winds / surplus of vowels"