Can I revitalise an old key-pair?

Kenneth Jones kententen at me.com
Tue Sep 3 04:27:36 CEST 2013

That was one of the troubles with us humans and PGP. We'd be all excited about creating a new key pair and testing it and stuff, but the admonition to choose a good passphrase was too well delivered, at least for me. Reminds me of that sign above the desk "My work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing." And since the only way to convince a key server that you were you was to possess the secret key (and it's passphrase), having forgotten the key to the key, so to speak, there are several (?!?) keys on the various keyservers that no longer can be used...or revoked. Which is why I have keys going back to the nineties, just gathering dust.

I think PGP dot com has (had?) a verification arrangement, whereby if you didn't confirm that the key was your and you still wanted to list it, they would remove it from the server...housecleaning.

--
I use openPGP encryption when possible. My current KeyID is: 0xE255 7AA7. I encourage you to use encrypted mail. Search "Open PGP, GPG, or GnuPG" for details. No third party has a right to my communication.

On Sep 3, 2013, at 2:33 AM, Martin Hvidberg <Martin at Hvidberg.net> wrote:

> Thanks all
>
> I won't get any of my old keys back, I see that :-(
<<snip>>