GPG and Outlook revisited

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Sep 9 15:32:01 CEST 2013

On Mon,  9 Sep 2013 09:52, John at enigmail.net said:

> If you're already using the GPG4Win package, install the PGPOL Outlook plugin
> that ships with it. It should work with Outlook 2003/2007.

In fact we put quite some work into enabling it for OL2010 - no MIME
stuff there, but at least we have options to handle attachments.

Frankly, I am pretty sure we could add MIME support the same way we did
it for OL2003 but it needs quite some research and work, meaning we need
to get a sponsor for that.

BTW, given that Lotus Notes has been found bugged by the NSA as early as
1997 [1], it is wishful thinking that Outlook has no such feature.
Better assume that there is way to remotely install extra features into
Outlook so to scan the drive for private keys.  In case Gpg4win would
get in wide use [2] dedicated spying code may be deployed at one of the
next patch days.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

[1] http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/2/2898/1.html
[2] We currently have (only) ~4000 downloads a day