GPG and Outlook revisited

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Mon Sep 9 21:17:16 CEST 2013

On 09/09/13 19:49, Avi wrote:
> All he says on the matter is <http://www.jumaros.de/rsoft/faq.html>:
> [...]
>     General: Do you sell your source-codes?
>
>     Yes! It's just a matter of price. Send me an offer. :-)

Remember that this would make it open source[1], but not free software. It can
come with some provision that you do not offer binaries built from that source
or modify the code. So then how do you know that the binaries he provides are
built from the source that you bought? The only way I think is to use the exact
same build setup he uses and then compare assembly (not full binaries, those
differ each build).

Anyway, his reasons not to make it free software remain rather shrouded in
mystery. I'm with Werner on being suspicious of mystery surrounding crypto
software[2].

His comparison to Windows is moot, because Windows is not freeware by a long shot.

Cheers,

Peter.

[1] As I see it being formulated, you might not even be allowed to share the
source you bought with others.
[2] My words, not his.