Preferred block cipher

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Mon Sep 16 10:00:19 CEST 2013

Hello Mike,

First of all, /please/ fix your mail client. You are breaking the threads and
inserting non-sensical Subject:-lines where you apparently reply to the digest
instead of a mail inside the digest. Similary, lines like

> On 09/15/2013 05:05 PM, gnupg-users-request at gnupg.org wrote:

are confusing.

When you reply to a message, it will normally refer to the mail you are replying
to in its headers, such that mail clients can show the conversation in a
threaded view. Your client currently does not refer to the mail you are replying
to, meaning that a new thread starts where you are replying. It is then quite
annoying to search for the corresponding thread to see what you're replying to.

On 16/09/13 01:07, Mike Acker wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what the manual means:
> [...]
>
> the sending party will not have access to my gpg.conf file so that data cannot
> affect his selection of a block cipher

I'm not completely sure what Robert is referring to either, but the settings you
published in the prefences on your public key are combined with the
personal-cipher-preferences from the gpg.conf from the person sending you a
message, along with the preferences of any other recipients.

Note that setting a default-preference-list in gpg.conf will only affect any
'setpref's you do afterwards, just adding it to gpg.conf is not enough to
actually set the preferences on your existing key.

HTH,

Peter.