Where is ECC in gpg2 (specifically gnupg-2.0.21

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Sep 18 09:06:37 CEST 2013

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:23, rookcifer at gmail.com said:

> It's good to see that Werner has already made the suggestion to implement
> different curves.  Let's hope that the OpenPGP working group agrees with his

The standard already allows for all kind of curses.  They are specified
by an OID and I offered DJB to assign OIDs from the GnuPG arc.  The
original reason why I wanted an OID based design is so that it will be
possible to use Brainpool curves which are preferred by some European
institutions.  I rejected the idea to make them the default in GnuPG to
support better interoperability but also told people that we change the
default as soon as we see people are using other curves.  Meanwhile I
don't think that we need a pool to settle on a different default.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner