How to find and verify a trust path?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Sep 18 23:40:30 CEST 2013

On Tuesday 17 September 2013 11:38:55 Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 17/09/13 11:07, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> > > The independent paths need to be completely disjoint (except for
> > > start and end point) _and_ they all need to start with Philip's
> > > key.
> >
> > AFAIK, there is no such requirement in the Web of Trust. I've never
> > heard of it.
>
> Euh... apart from the part where you said they need to start with
> Philip's key. I didn't trim the quote far enough :). I meant there is
> no requirement that the paths are independent.

True. There's no such requirement in the Web of Trust. But Philip's
question
(which you snipped away in your reply) specifically requires the path to
be independent. And that the n independent paths have to connect
Philip's key and the key Philip wants to verify is an implicit
requirement.

Of course, the attacker could create n keys all with his correct name.
Then nobody would have to be deceived because there's nothing wrong
about those keys. But IMHO that's not a convincing answer because I
wouldn't trust n paths all involving keys from the same person more than
1 path involving a key of that person. Of course, if somebody blindly
trusts gpg to do the right thing then he probably deserves to be
deceived.

Regards,
Ingo