gpg: Go ahead and type your message

Ryan Sawhill ryan at b19.org
Mon Sep 23 15:31:33 CEST 2013

Robert is correct that the usual way people run gpg is by passing it
input via a pipe or from a file; however, what you're aiming for is
totally doable. The missing piece you need is the keyboard shortcut:
Ctrl-d, e.g.:

[rsaw:~]$ gpg -ac
Enter passphrase:
Repeat passphrase:
Here is where I started typing my message...
Woooo!
<I pressed Ctrl-d here>
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.14 (GNU/Linux)

jA0ECQMImb+Sa0FjCzRg0lABQKbzLKTEWfsbpSQHdaxF78Rxsbas3efTDRHcVIKq
87YFppU4nkhsmB0DUD6cv3ILLF20KTx3/azi0+mJhWfnPdt8t41MFI2NjVTSwThM
wQ==
=BsPC
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
[rsaw:~]$