PGP/GPG confusing PGPDisk?

Andrew Long andrew.long at mac.com
Mon Sep 23 18:56:58 CEST 2013

This is a bit of-topic for this list but I thought I'd float it here before trying to get an answer out of Symantec.

Back in about JUne I created a (small) PGP disk using PGP Desktop for Mac. I never actually used it but it would mount itself on re-boots and was (apparently) there and available.

Since I installed the security update to Lion last week though, this disk refuses to mount and complains about having been encrypted with an incompatible cipher. I believe that it was created with AES256.

OK so it's no great loss - there wasn't anything in it - I'll create a new one. Only every time I try this now I get the same error, no matter what algorithm I choose from the dropdown box (one of CAST5, AES256 and EME2-AES256).

I was wondering if it is possible/likely that, because I have both PGP & GnuPG installed on the same machine and keep copies of my public key on both the PGO keyservers & sks-keyserers that I might have introduced some confusion into the choices of algorithms available between the two different installations?

Anyone have any thoughts on how to diagnose/resolve the situation, please?

MAC )SX 10.7.5 on a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 16Gb of RAM.

saganami-island:~ andy$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.11

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128,
       CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

Regards, Andy

--
Andrew Long
andrew dot long at mac dot com