Best Practice, subkeys and subkey cross-certification.

Tue Sep 24 03:41:22 CEST 2013

Am Di 24.09.2013, 00:21:09 schrieb Chuck Peters:
> I attended a small key signing party Saturday after generating a new key
> with multiple subkeys with the notion of having a email signing keys on
> less secure systems like my VPS (using mutt) and a separate subkey for
> each computer or device.

Would you explain that in more detail? I am not sure whether that makes sense.

> So I can keep my primary key off the
> network and use it only for signing other peoples keys.

You should consider not only storing the key offline but using it in a safe
environment only. Besides managing your own and other keys it makes sense to
use it for signing very important data (like your key policy).

> Another sensible precaution is to have different passphrases for each of
> these subkeys.  However when working with the full key set when I
> attempted to change the passphrase for a subkey, it also changed the
> passphrase for the main key.  I'm assuming at this point when I separate
> the keys, I can change the passphrase as planned...  Is this a bug?

GnuPG can use keys with subkeys which have different passphrases but it cannot
create such keys (at least not with "normal operation"). This is not a bug,
just a missing feature.

> OK, the FAQ is the first I heard about subkey cross-certification.  Is
> that info current and correct?  What is recommended?

Don't care about that, it's handled automatically.

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/bekannte/