Length for AES256 symmetric encryption passphrase?

Sam Gleske sam.mxracer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 19:20:57 CEST 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org>wrote:

> 4.  What is it you really want to know?  You already know: AES depends on
> having a 32-bit key which can support up to 256 bits of entropy.  You've
> been told two good metrics for estimating entropy in a passphrase: 1.5 bits
> per glyph of English text, 5 bits per glyph of base-64ed random data.

Just to be clear I'm not the OP so you don't accidentally confuse my
question with theirs.  My original doesn't serve a purpose because I use
GPG for encrypting my files and leave it up to that and don't normally use
AES directly.  My question was merely a curiosity so you can take it for
what it is.

Specifically, I said the password manager was keepassx for password
generation.  I realize that GPG and openssl are entirely different.
Perhaps my question was too broad with too many variables to be properly
answered by a single person and should have been broken up into different
parts to appropriate audiences.