Using an RSA GnuPG key for RSA ?

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Fri Apr 4 19:32:47 CEST 2014

On Friday, April 04, 2014 at 12:49 PM, "Leo Gaspard"  wrote:On Thu,
Apr 03, 2014 at 09:56:18AM -0400, vedaal at nym.hush.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 02, 2014 at 5:41 PM, "Leo Gaspard"  wrote:
>
> >If you are not to use the key in gnupg, why make gnupg generate it
> >in the first
> >place? Why not use the program with which you'll use the key to
> >generate it?
>
> =====
>
> Where in the post did you get the idea that I would not?
>
> I trust GnuPG's generation of keys, but prefer not to trust closed
source programs generating RSA keys.
> I would like to use my GnuPG RSA key, easily available on
keyservers, for other RSA functions.

> vedaal

>And... You say you do not trust closed source programs for key
generation, but
does that mean you trust them for key usage?

=====

I trust them to encrypt to my public key, and was planning to work out
a system where I could decrypt on my own without it going through
them.
(they could have my public key, and verify my RSA signature).

[All this is in the theoretical planning stage ;-)
first I would need to be able to isolate my RSA part of my GnuPG key
and see if it can be used with an open source simple RSA program
offline.

That was my original question.]
vedaal