Heartbleed attack on Openssl / Pertinent? I say yes.

Christopher J. Walters cwal989 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 20:35:14 CEST 2014

On 4/9/2014 2:08 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>> safe.  How would you protect your home and valuables then?  That is the
>> type of problem that Heartbleed is, and it IMO needs to be posted
>> EVERYWHERE, so that people can at least try to protect themselves.
>
> Please re-read my message.  I never told him to post elsewhere or that
> it was off-topic for this list.  I simply told him where he might get
> better answers.  If I was still teaching at the university and a student
> came by looking for help with calculus homework, my first response would
> be, "Well, you're in the Computer Science department; the Math
> department is at the other end of this hallway."
>
> And my second response would be, "But maybe I can help you: let's see."
>
> :)

Believe it or not, I did read your message.  I did not mean to accuse you of
telling him to post elsewhere or that it was off-topic for the list.  I am
sorry if you got that impression. I just feel the the issue is very important,
and needs to be "shouted from the roof tops", as the saying goes.

Again, my message was nothing personal against you.  I just thought I'd provide
more information on the bug.

My message has not shown up on the list, yet.  Is the list moderated, or is it
just an issue of a reply to a message showing up before the actual message does?