signatures for other people's emails

Wed Apr 16 18:37:56 CEST 2014

Am Mi 16.04.2014, 18:21:16 schrieb Peter Lebbing:
> The usual way it works here would be, in your example, for the dean to
> send the recipients a message with "Please consider the request in
> the attached message", and your message would be attached. That way,
> it is the dean who requests something, and the PhD would be inclined
> to read it.

That is indeed possible but has disadvantages:

a) It does not work with more than one supporter.

b) The supporter becomes more involved in the communication than he
wants to: He appears as the sender and may receive answers (even bounces
and autoresponders).

c) The real sender does not have the mail in his sent mail archive thus
breaking the usual communication structure. In case of doubt he does not
even know whether the mail has already been sent by the supporter.

d) The same for the recipients: They cannot simply search for a mail
from the real sender.

e) The supporter must handle the recipients in that case. That may be a
complicated procedure; he may not even have all the addresses yet.

I guess you agree that the procedure you suggest is possible but would
be used only due to the lack of something better and not because it was
the best (or even a good) way of doing that.

The practical question is: Would you vote / argue against the
development of such a new feature because of the existing possibilities?

A general remark: Some time ago we had a discussion here about the
future of email. Who's still using it and for what and the like. I think
with this background it makes sense to consider how email can become
better.

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/