GPG and BCC

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Apr 17 20:14:21 CEST 2014

On Thursday 17 April 2014 11:36:59 MFPA wrote:
> On Friday 11 April 2014 at 9:59:21 PM, in
> <mid:1430606.o2gaqJObOZ at thufir.ingo-kloecker.de>, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Apart from using the '--throw-keyids' option you could
> > send multiple  copies of the message. One copy for the
> > public recipients which is  encrypted with the keys of
> > all public recipients (To, Cc). And n copies for the n
> > Bcc recipients where each copy is encrypted with the
> > key of  one Bcc recipient. That's what KMail does.
>
> A few years ago when trialling various email programs, one that I
> tried encrypted an individual copy for each recipient when you sent an
> encrypted mail with multiple recipients.

Sure. One could do this. But I don't see the point of encrypting an
individual copy for each To/Cc recipient. The only additional
information a single message encrypted for all To/Cc recipients gives
the recipients is the list of key IDs of the other recipients. Under
very special circumstances this could be undesirable, but under those
special circumstances one probably also doesn't want to have all
recipients listed in To/Cc. So, we are back to using Bcc or sending
completely indiviual messages.

Regards,
Ingo