signatures for other people's emails

Mon Apr 21 17:33:00 CEST 2014

Am Mi 16.04.2014, 13:28:02 schrieb Mark H. Wood:
> I also thought it would be preferable just to pass the message through
> the person whose prestige would, if lent, get you a reading.  The
> problem with having the message come from an unknown is that it is
> coming from an unknown.  If the message is not opened, it doesn't
> matter whose signatures are on it, because they will not be seen.

That's obviously not what would happen in typical situations. A mail
client which implements such a feature would notify the user about this
point; even if the user marks the mail just for deletion. Mails from
strangers are usully "actively not read": You see it and decide not to
(really) read it; or to have a loot at it but not really care about it.
Mails from strangers are not filtered out on the mailbox server before
they reach the MUA.

It might help to define an additional X-header which marks the mail as
having support signatures so that an IMAP client can notice this without
looking at the "attachments".

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/