gpg Feature request: merge gpg.exe and gpgsm.exe into one tool

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Apr 21 19:37:37 CEST 2014

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:05, peter at digitalbrains.com said:

> directly, and X.509 support for GPGME is something that is being worked on, so
> an application that doesn't mind whether it handles OpenPGP messages or CMS
> messages can just use the appropriate functions of GPGME.

Exactly.  However there is much more to it than calling
gpgme_set_protocol.  S/MIME and PGP/MIME/OpenPGP is quite different in
some important details.  Changing MUAs to support both is quite some
work.  I have done that several times over the last decade.

The implementation of the actual protocol is entirely different thus
consider it still a sound decision to separate the problem domains into
two separate processes and some helper processes.

> X.509 trust model) seems to be already in the works, and when applications
> choose they also want to support that, it might be as easy to support both
> OpenPGP and CMS as it is to support just one. I don't know if CMS support in
> GPGME is already usable, but it seems much more viable to do a feature

Unfortunately this is not the case for one a widely used MUA.

CMS support in GPGME is matured for a long time.  KMail (and Mutt) was
rated fully compatible to all other matured S/MIME implementations
except for Outlook which was at that time not compatible to any modern
CMS (PKIX) standards.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner