UI terminology for calculated validities

Tue Apr 22 12:56:52 CEST 2014

Am Di 22.04.2014, 12:25:04 schrieb Nicolai Josuttis:

> So the next question is:
> Is "trust a key" a valid term?

The better question is: "Is it a useful term?"

I consider this confusion a huge problem. I guess hardly anyone outside
this list get these two concepts right. There is even an OpenPGP GUI
which mixes up these two (claims to show trust but shows validity...).

Using "trust" for both cases is probably the best way to ensure that
normal users will never understand this. I strongly advise against the
use of the term "trust" in a validity context.

> If you don't like the term "trust a key" what else intuitive
> terminology do you suggest?

"consider a key as valid"

Hauke
--