UI terminology for calculated validities

Bernard Tyers ei8fdb at ei8fdb.org
Fri Apr 25 19:43:53 CEST 2014

On 25/04/2014 18:02, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 04/25/2014 09:23 AM, Mark H. Wood wrote:
>> What about abandoning terms of art and just saying things more
>> simply: "This message was signed by key AAAAAAAA.  You have
>> indicated that you trust that key."
>
> trust that key to do what?  to belong to some mystery person?  to
> make valid OpenPGP signatures?  to send you good stock tips?  to be
> a reliable source of cryptographically-signed tasty noodle
> casserole recipes?  to be controlled in an operationally secure
> fashion?  to have been created on the date it claims to have been
> created?
>
> we're all aiming for clarity and simplicity here, but using a
> simple ambiguous term when we need to distinguish at least two very
> specific cases from each other and from many other meanings of the
> word "trust" seems like a recipe for failure (instead of noodle
> casserole).
>
> --dkg

Hi all,

Nicolai: I am very glad you've started this thread.

<dons flame retardant suit>

At the risk of being flamed, can I suggest asking the users what they
think?

Nicolai, by the look of it you've carried out some user research. I
guess so by the "real world" discussion you posted in a message.

If you did can I ask what you focused on? Did you look for suggestions
from users?

I have read some HCI research into non-expert user understanding of PGP.

If there wasn't user research done, can I suggest doing some?

With the utmost respect to the list members, you (we) are not
non-expert users, and so our opinions really don't matter.

The focus of Nicolai's question is *non-expert*, so we need to get
their opinions.

Suggestions? Arguments?

Bernard