Managing Subkeys for Professional and Personal UIDs

John Sockwell jsockwell at kbsp.com
Sun Apr 27 00:21:42 CEST 2014

I’m looking for best practices in creating and managing multiple subkeys and uids.

In my scenario, I have a personal computer and personal email address. In addition, I have an employer provided computer and employer email address.

I’d like to create a key architecture where if I’m ever compelled to compromise, revoke, or lose access to the signing and encryption keys on my work computer, the security and integrity of my personal files are preserved. The easiest solution seems to be generating separate primary keys for both identities. However, I believe this would undermine the WoT when I move to a new employer by not having all signing and encryption keys originating from the same primary key.

Is it possible to assign an encryption and signing sub key to a specific uid so I can separate the keys used?
Is there a better way to achieve this goal through other signing techniques?

This e-mail transmission (and/or documents attached) contains confidential information. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom this e-mail is directed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete same immediately.

This e-mail may not be forwarded without the sender's express permission.