UI terminology for calculated validities

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Apr 30 10:35:15 CEST 2014

On 30/04/14 01:25, MFPA wrote:
> "Trust:" followed by any other option except "ultimate"
> appears to have no effect unless the "trust-model direct" is in
> operation.
>
> Have I got this right?

No, in the Web of Trust models[1], you can assign full and marginal trust to
keys. With the default parameters, 1 signature of a fully trusted, valid key
makes another key valid, or 3 signatures from marginally trusted keys.

In fact, I don't think there is any practical difference between "ultimate
trust" and "full trust" in trust-model direct. But I don't know anything about
trust-model direct except from experimentation.

HTH,

Peter.

[1] That is, pgp and classic. pgp is the default mode.