How to preserve the permission/owner/group owner on the pubring.gpg, secring.gpg and trustdb.gpg

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Aug 7 14:58:08 CEST 2014

On 07/08/14 14:34, Sieu Truc wrote:
> No need to say sorry, iam really appreciated your help.

It was also an apology to list subscribers flooded by messages by me :).

> I understood what you suggested. But in the specification of my project
> , one user can belong to only one groups. It's hard to implement so that
> why i need your help.

If you can't administrate the machine (i.e., add groups, add users to
groups), then it's going to be /really/ difficult. I'm mentally throwing
my hands up in the air and muttering something about "not really a group
then, is it" :). I find it a fun exercise to think of a permission
system that will allow a reasonable granularity of access permissions,
but not being allowed to add groups seems like an unreasonable
requirement. I'm out of ideas.

> And i have a question to you and Werner, how can gpg change the user
> owner ship of the file ? normally only root can change the ownership.

You need the CAP_CHOWN capability, which normally only root has. I'm not
acquainted with changing capabilities; I have never done it.

HTH,

Peter.