gnupg-2.1 Install

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Mon Aug 11 22:15:37 CEST 2014

On 11/08/14 21:05, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>> For some of us relatively new Ubuntu Linux users installing the
>> latest gnupg can be a challenge.
>
> The latest GnuPG is in the Ubuntu repositories, last I checked.
> Ubuntu's normally pretty good about keeping current.

I'm also a new Ubuntu user (UbuntuStudio 14.04) and I find it difficult to find
my way around.  I'm not yet up to doing it myself from source code so I look to
the resources in the distribution : Ubuntu Software Centre, and Synaptic Package
Manager.

The latest Gnupg's in the Software Centre are :

gnupg  1.4.16-1ubuntu2.1
gnupg2 2.0.22-3ubuntu1.1

and this info is confirmed by Synaptic Package Manager which I update at least
once every week (and all the repositories are checked in the package manager's
settings.)

Gnupg 1.4.16 is what I'm using.  I tried installing the gnupg2 package but all
that it did for me was to stop enigmail/thunderbird from signing or encrypting
emails.  So I removed it pending more courage and/or a later version and/or
understanding more about do-it-yourself.

Maybe you could tell me if there are other places to check the Ubuntu repositories ?