automatically add the passphrase for other (sub)keys of the same certificate

Wed Aug 13 04:03:13 CEST 2014

Hello,

I just got more familiar with gpg-agent and had the idea that it might
be nice (i.e. in this case: I should be capable of doing that myself) to
have a background process which notices that gpg-agent has a new
passphrase in it's cache. This process could determine the certificate
to which this passphrase belongs and check whether it has more keys. If
so (and they are not blacklisted in the configuration of this helper
program) then the passphrase could be added for these other keys. That
should not be a problem at least as long as GnuPG does not allow to set
different passphrases for different certificate components. Most users I
see don't accept that they have to enter the passphrase twice for "the
same" key.

My question:
Is this maybe a bad idea for reasons I don't see?

I noticed one problem: This process would have to take precautions so
that the caching time is not affected (if the user gives the passphrase
for key A and the process adds it for key B then it may not add it for
key A, too, if it has expired but not yet expired for B).

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/
http://userbase.kde.org/Concepts/OpenPGP_Help_Spread