Re: [openpgp] SHA-2 support should be mandatory – change defaults

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 13 07:52:23 CEST 2014

On 12-08-2014 0:08, David Shaw wrote:

> Rather than fixing RFC-1991 support, why not go in the other direction
> and make it clear that it isn't supported, and won't work?

Why? It would make checking old mail archives more complicated. Further,
since a fix only requires a reordering of the sequence in which packets
are saved, is it really so difficult to fix it? I'll have a look at it
myself when I can find some time.

> I did a bunch of work to make --pgp2 work well and interoperate
> with PGP 2.x over a decade ago.  Even then it was intended as a
> stopgap measure until people finally stopped using PGP 2.x.

Most people, inclusing me, have stopped using it. However, I still have
a lot of mail archives from those days. Removing support would mean I
have to start using pgp 2 again to access them.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers