Why does Enigmail keep asking for a passphrase for a secret key?

J. Tinsby mirwatcher at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 15 17:47:51 CEST 2014

Hello,

I hope the group gets this message/question I am not used to using email groups, so correct me if I am making a mistake please.

I have GPG4 Win installed on Win 7 with Thunderbird and Enigmail. Lately I get a message asking for " a passphrase to unlock a secret key" ( not to decrypt a message ) when I type in the phrase for the secret key it tells me it's not correct. I have no phrase other than the one I use for that key since it was created 12 years ago. I'm not sure what phrase it's looking for, repeated attempts fail and I had to remove and reinstall GPG4Win to solve the message problem but I'm sure it will return.

What phrase is the program asking for?

I have used PGP for years and it never asked me for another phrase other than the one that I use to decrypt a message, so this is confusing to me.

Thank you,

J T