It's time for PGP to die.

Garreau, Alexandre galex-713 at galex-713.eu
Sun Aug 17 00:48:24 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-16 at 19:14, Kristy Chambers wrote:
> Sorry for that crap subject. I just want to leave this.
> http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2014/08/whats-matter-with-pgp.html

Yeah, PGP’s what I’d call something coming with and for the “old”
Internet, the slow, federated, cleartext, client–server, monocast and
sedentary one. Another critique: <http://secushare.org/PGP>.

But if you really want to fix all these issues, what you need is not
improving PGP/GnuPG, but rebuilding the whole Internet. That’s not the
goal of GnuPG, you’d better give a look at GNUnet. To fix these issues,
it doesn’t only plan to replace GnuPG, but also mail, IRC, jabber, web
forums, web itself, HTTP(S), newsgroups, FTP, bittorrent, TLS, DNS(SEC),
TCP–UDP/IP, BGP, and quite everything that you could imagine in
Internet, which is all fundamentally completely broken, obsolete and way
excessively complicated, if you try to see things from this point of
view.

Yet PGP hides some information in a more secure way than cleartext, is
usable by the people who need it the most and is part of our internet
tech culture. So waiting during we try to rebuild and revolution the
world again, it stays fine to keep using it, but we need to know its
deficiencies, and to take care of who, how, when, where and why to teach
it.