It's time for PGP to die.

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Aug 17 14:10:34 CEST 2014

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 12:17, peter at digitalbrains.com said:

> - MUA's still work with RFC-822 based mail, with a sort of "dummy" envelope that
> holds an encrypted MIME message/rfc822 inside with the real metadata. These
> MUA's still talk IMAP and SMTP.

Exactly. Pprobably some MUAs need some fixes to work properly with such
mails.  It would be intresting to ge an overview on how the common MUAs
handle message/rfc822 and encryption.  Gnus works well.

> - We define a new transport; the message the MUA hands via SMTP is not sent on
> with SMTP, but with a different transport that's not quite as leaky with
> metadata. This transport ultimately delivers the message to a mailbox server
> allowing access over IMAP for the MUA.

(GNUNET would be a nice transport provider here).

> Did I interpret it correctly?

Yes.

> BTW: I still think hop-by-hop encryption with TLS, with the

Actually we don't have this hop-by-hop anymore.  Except for the internal
MUAs we don't use relays anymore.  In many cases the first hop is gmail
and the last hop is gmail (CompuServe 2.0 ;-).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner