Fwd: GNU hackers discover HACIENDA government surveillance and give us a way to fight back

Garreau, Alexandre galex-713 at galex-713.eu
Sat Aug 23 06:44:28 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-22 at 21:13, Rejo Zenger wrote:
> ++ 22/08/14 11:38 +0200 - Garreau, Alexandre:
>> The difference in the relation we have with information is who does
>> it concern: when it concerns everybody (like Science, information
>> about politics, events, Philosophy, Art, etc. what generally is what
>> Wikipedia contains, aka “encyclopedic informations”), it should be
>> shared among everyone, and not doing so is taking part in some kind
>> of oppression (like stopping people from sharing a software); when it
>> concerns only
>> […]
>
> That's an interesting point of view - or there is some misunderstanding
> on my end. Let's say the NSA does not only surveil all kinds of
> communications as it does right now, but it also publishes this
> information ("open data" in governmental speak), then there is no
> oppression according to you?

I didn’t say it was related to what usage was made of information or to
whom it was available but to *who it concerns*. Actually if you publish
private information it changes nothing: it remains private information
concerning only its initial possessor, and making other people
acknowledge it is giving them power an harm to the freedom of one who
has her privacy harmed.

Open data and transparency should only be about what concerns everybody,
like government actions, trains schedule, etc. not private information.