installing gnupg-2.0.26

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Tue Aug 26 15:12:51 CEST 2014

On 24/08/14 18:23, Philip Jackson wrote:
> Wow, that's a pretty dumb mistake to make.  I just assumed the latest version
> was at the bottom of the list on the ftp page.  Sorry about that.

I've now got the four dependencies noted in the gnupg-2.0.26 README installed
under /usr/local/ at latest versions :
libgpg-error-1.13
libgcrypt--1.6.2
libksba-1.3.0
libassuan-2.1.2

Running configure on gnupg-2.0.26 produced a demand for pth which I downloaded
and installed (pth-2.0.7).

Then 'configure' zapped thro rapidly without any further errors noted at the end
so I ran 'make' which failed - last few lines in the terminal are :

> local/include -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -Wpointer-arith -Wno-psabi -MT compress.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/compress.Tpo -c -o compress.o compress.c
> compress.c:34:18: fatal error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
>  #include <zlib.h>
>                   ^
> compilation terminated.
> make[2]: *** [compress.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gnupg-2.0.26/g10'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gnupg-2.0.26'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

from which it seems that failure to find a zlib.h was fatal.  There seem to be 2
errors but I don't understand the second one.

'Configure' didn't point out the need for zlib.h but examination of its output
indicates that it had noted its absence.

I already have zlib (as I already had the other dependencies albeit at earlier
versions except for libksba) but the ubuntu distribution seems to rename them
and install in the /lib/ branch rather than the /usr/local/ branch.

For example, I have the package zlib1g installed according to dpkg in
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/.

So I suppose I now have to find a source for zlib or find how to tell gnupg
where to find it ?