default user and recipient

Herb Burnswell herbert.burnswell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 01:23:39 CEST 2014

All,

I am new to pgp and would like to understand the minimum flags that I
should be using for my encryption/decryption needs.  I just want to encrypt
files for decryption by one other person.  We have exchanged public keys.

I have read in several places that I can run:

gpg -e filename

In ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf file, I set:

default-recipient-self

which I assume means that the default key (I only have one) is used for
both encryption and decryption.  However, I receive:

No such user ID.

I have not uploaded my newly created key information to a keyserver,  Is
that a requirement?  What are good 'best practices' flags that should be
used with encryption and decryption with pgp?

Thanks in advance, any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Herb