Setpref is not working or is it a bug or something?

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Mon Dec 1 04:33:19 CET 2014

Hi

On Sunday 30 November 2014 at 9:46:40 AM, in
<mid:3ABF0B.547AF592.0006 at gate>, gnupgpack at on.yourweb.de wrote:

> Yes, that's true, SMTP-Filter is running for outgoing
> mails:
> http://lab1.de/Central/Software/Internet/E-Mail/SMTP-Filter/

> It deletes for security/privacy reasons:
> IN-REPLY-TO:

That header is used to tell the recipient's email software what
message-ID the reply is to, so that the response can be threaded.

> MESSAGE-ID:

If you delete the message-ID, a new one is added by the next server
that handles the message.

> ORGANIZATION:

If you are going to delete this, why supply it in the first place?

> REFERENCES:

This is used along with the IN-REPLY-TO header for threading. It may
contain more Message-IDs from the thread. Useful on a mailing list in
case someone following the thread has blocked some contributors or
deleted/not received the message to which you just replied.

Given that you set this on a per-message basis as High/Normal/Low,
it's not a security/privacy issue at all. Deleting it just means all
your messages default to Normal priority.

> Hidden header 'In-Reply-To:
> <1CD78A.547AEDEA.0002 at machine>': IN-REPLY-TO and
> REFERENCES for example include ... at machine, which is
> always the same... This is not wanted because of the
> possibility of tracking cross over the web ("who posts
> which content...")

Having it in those headers in the messages you post means you are
replying to a thread containing the content, not that you posted the
content.

Besides, unless the user has specifically set their mailer to do
something different, the bit after the "@" often defaults to the
domain in their email address.

> So, how to deal with this behavior? Keeping subject
> untouched seems to be enough for identifying and
> associating to thread, isn't it?

Only if for each thread you use a unique subject line that will never
be repeated, and you can guarantee that everybody reading the threads
only ever receives email from people who do the same.

- --
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net

When duty calls...hang up immediately