gpg / Enigmail behavior after disabling Gnome Keyring

outa outa at gmx.de
Thu Dec 11 02:11:22 CET 2014

Hi all,

after a recent upgrade to Kubuntu 14.10, gpg started to show that warning message about Gnome Keyring hijacking it. After adding the following lines to a startup script:

killall gpg-agent
killall gnome-keyring-daemon
gpg-agent --daemon --enable-ssh-support --write-env-file "${HOME}/.gpg-agent-info"
. "${HOME}/.gpg-agent-info"
export GPG_AGENT_INFO
export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
gnome-keyring-daemon  --components=ssh,secrets,pkcs11

the pinentry dialog was back instead of the Gnome one. However, each time I decrypt an email now, gpg asks for my passphrase (apprently not caching it), and each time I want to sign an email, it asks for a passphrase twice. As described here: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mozilla.enigmail.general/19022 (I also use Thunderbird and Enigmail). This is odd and a bit annoying. Using gpg directly on the command line to sign a message results in only one passphrase prompt though.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and could point me to a solution? Thanks a lot.

Greets,
Lutz