GnuPG and g10 code

Dave Pawson dave.pawson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 13:26:05 CET 2014

On 16 December 2014 at 12:16, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 11:11, dave.pawson at gmail.com said:
>
>> 1. I knew nothing about this smart card.
>> 2 Searched on Google. Found http://shop.kernelconcepts.de/product_info.php
>
> What about:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP_card

(IMHO) pure geekery copied from one of the other pages?

> and the second section of
>
>   https://gnupg.org/documentation/howtos.html

https://gnupg.org/howtos/card-howto/en/smartcard-howto-single.html#id2456468

Note how quickly it gets into using GPG? Then into software installation?
Missing, the layer above this, the marketing 'spiel'.

OK, it could be me (I don't think it is).

Simple question, WTF is thing all about? I have lots of credit cards
(are they smart? No idea).
I know what to do with them. I think this thing is different, so my
first question is what is it for?
Why should I be interested, what can it do (especially as it
costs....?80 Euro with reader?)

As if you are talking to your little sister (big sister, anyone one
non-geek :-) tell me (us)
what it offers?

I'll shut up now <sorry/>

regards