Unable to encrypt file with private/public key

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Fri Dec 19 17:32:34 CET 2014

On Friday 19 December 2014 at 9:14:05 AM, in
<mid:BB9B5A6872D97741BFA9070540661288018C95D0 at APSINXMS07.ap.sony.com>,
Haritwal, Dhiraj wrote:

> Thank you all for your response.

> What I have learned so far from these threads is
> Signing always require a passphrase whereas encryption
> can be done without Passphrase & it requires a Key.
> Correct me if my understand is not correct.

Each key pair consists of a private key and a public key that are
mathematically related.

Each user shares their public key with other people, but keeps their
private key to themself and protects it with a passphrase.

A signature is made with your own private key, which you need the
passphrase to use. The person verifying your signature needs only your
public key and does not need your passphrase.

> I was doing a mistake. I was trying to encrypt the file
> with Partner Key hence it was showing the warning.
> While sending the file to partner I have to use my own
> key which I have share with them to decrypt it.

To encrypt a file (or a message) to me, you need only my public key
and you do not need a passphrase. To decrypt the file, I need my
private key, which I need my passphrase to use.

- --
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net

Change is inevitable except from a vending machine