The praise of GnuPG @31C3 and why it is important (was: Guys please all see)

Nicolai Josuttis nico at josuttis.de
Wed Dec 31 14:20:35 CET 2014

OK,
for those who didn't have time to see the talk at 31C3
as a whole and therefore wondering why this is an important talk,
let me point out and quote some content from
>> http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/2014/31c3_-_6258_-_en_-_saal_1_-_201412282030_-_reconstructing_narratives_-_jacob_-_laura_poitras.html#video
with the timepoints to be able to see/hear/double-check it yourself
and some add-ons in [...] to understand the context.
All quotes except the last by Jacob Appelbaum.

26:33 :
 PPTP, ipsec, SSL, TLS, SSH are broken by NSA

31:23 :
 we found that they [NSA] consistently break various different
 types of encryption

33:40 :
 we want to show one PRISM record
 (the record contains:
  "no decrypt available for this OTR encrypted message")

34:22 :
 basically everyone that uses cryptography is broken
 except for two things: OTR and PGP (36:06)

37:08 :
 the sad part is that not everyone is using it
 but the good news is that when you use it it appears to work
 (when you verified the fingerprint for example)

37:38 :
 they [NSA] themselves find that they are blinded
 when you use properly implemented cryptography.

37:46 :
 GnuPG and OTR are two things that actually stop the spies
 from spying on you with PRISM

40:11 :
 if you use redphone and signal,
 if you use something like TOR and GnuPG
 with a properly sized key ...
 if you use OTR
 if you use jabber.ccc.de ...
 if you use encontered together
 you blind them

42:41 :
 Werner Koch [GnuPG], ... could you stand up?
 Ian Goldberg [OTR], ...
 Christine Corbett [Signal],
 stand up and keep standing
 These people without even knowing it and without
 even trying they beat them!

43:55 :
 Laura Poitras:
 Last night I screened my film Citizenfour here ...
 Somebody ask what an they do to support the work that Snowden has done
 and the Journalists.
 Everybody should fund the work that you guys do ...
 because literally, my work would not be possible without
 the work that you do.
 So, I would like it if everybody in this room when they leave here
 in the next week to reach out and fund these projects
 because without these projects the journalism
 that Glenn [Greenwald] and I and Jake have done
 would literally not be possible

--
Nicolai M. Josuttis
www.josuttis.de
mailto:nico at enigmail.net
PGP fingerprint: CFEA 3B9F 9D8E B52D BD3F 7AF6 1C16 A70A F92D 28F5