Key selection

Sandeep Murthy s.murthy at mykolab.com
Wed Dec 31 22:09:24 CET 2014

Hi

I didn’t mean to suggest that `gpg` should do any guessing in this
situation.

Maybe I’m wrong and this is a minor issue, but from
a simple request-response model point of view when
`gpg —edit-key` is invoked by a user with an argument which i
not a specific key ID but an email which is associated with
multiple keys in the keychain then it seems it should certainly
not cause `gpg` to point to any revoked or expired key, as is
happening now (for me anyway).  This is clearly a bug, and
surely there’s an easy fix for it - check whether there are
any active (non-expired, non-revoked) keys, if so present the
list to the user to choose, if not print an appropriate message
that would cause the user to either generate a new key for that
email, and edit that key, or do a lookup on another source where
they have stored keys.

This issue is specific to the command line program, not any
GUI based program like Keychain (from MacGPG2 suite), because
there the user can see the keys and know which one to edit.

Sandeep Murthy
s.murthy at mykolab.com