Organizing a GPG key signing party in London

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozilla.com
Wed Feb 19 06:44:44 CET 2014

On 19/02/2014 00:05, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Bernard Tyers - ei8fdb wrote:
>> --===============0194389773==
>>

>> --Apple-Mail=_42600D74-BACD-4F4B-9BD8-3B20FDE29090
>>
>> Hello Ludovic!
>>
>> I=92d like to go along and take part.
>>
>> One thing: what kind of person are you expecting to attend? I would like =
>> to suggest you open it to journalists, human rights defenders, activist =
>> communities?
>>
>> I was at the Fosdem KSP and eventhough I enjoyed it (can you actually =
>> =93enjoy=94 a key signing party?) I observed some ways in which it might =
>> have been improved, particularly for first time party-goers.
>>
>> I had intended on writing this up as some feedback for the great Fosdem =
>> people in case they were interested, but you=92ve prompted me to do it =
>> here:
>>
>> NB: This feedback makes the following assumptions:
>>
>> 1. People who *are not* advanced/expert GPG are encouraged to attend.
>> 2. A similar key signing protocol to the modified Zimmerman-Sassaman is =
>> used.

>> 1. Explain whats needed *before* you attend the key signing party.
>>
>> Steps of:
>> a. Submit your keys before date X. Give clear steps on how to submit the =
>> keys.
>> b. Inform the user when the list of participants will be released. =
>> Explain the list of participants needs to be downloaded.
This was pretty clear on the fosdem keysgning key page
>> c. Please, please, please outline the steps the user needs to take to =
>> verify the participant lists keysum *on the website not* in the list of =
>> participants.
>>
>> (I spoke with a lot of party goers at Fosdem who were unaware of the =
>> steps=85which were in the list of keys. But if you didn=92t know you had =
>> to download the list, and didn=92t have access to a printer=85.)
>>
>> 2. Explain the overall process involved *once you are at* the key =
>> signing party.
>>
>> Again, at Fosdem this seemed to be handled eventually by word of mouth =
>> and general =93whipping=94 people into order. Some people were unsure of =
>> the process.
That's because some people were late. I've submitte feedbakc to the
organizer , adn he'll change a few things for netx year.
>> 3. Explain what is needed *after* the party finishes.
>>
>> This was handled well at the Fosdem party.
>>

>> A few other things I made a note of were:
>>
>> - If possible try and had tables provided for the people taking part so =
>> they can put their documentation/equipment down while they are checking =
>> keys etc.=20
We had that once in 2007 - it didn't scale at all. Time for people to
seat etc ....
>> - Have some people helping out when people don=92t know what=92s =
>> involved.
that's a very good point.
>> - Think about capping the maximum amount of people able to attend, or =
>> think about having two sessions.
I've said tell people in avacnce how long it might take.