gpg 1.4.16 Windows - version info

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Feb 20 13:52:34 CET 2014

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:53, laurent.jumet at skynet.be said:

>     ...OK, stamping "emit-version" twice in GNUPG.CONF restores version like in
> my signature below.
>     But what was the purpose of this feature?

It is an old contentious point.  Some claim that the exact version is
helpful to locate vulnerable implementations.  Other do not agree with
that and like to have the version number to have some insight into which
versions are actually in use.  In the light of recent events the first
group got more traction and thus I changed the default.  However, I kept
the major version number because it is quite interesting to notice the
usage of GnuPG-2 compared to -1.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner