NSA seeks to build quantum computer that could crack most types of encryption

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 15:34:24 CET 2014

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Filip M. Nowak <gnupg at oneiroi.net> wrote:
> On 04.01.2014 12:48, Esteban Monge wrote:
>>

>> 2014/1/4 Johan Wevers <johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
>> <mailto:johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl>>
>>
>>     On 04-01-2014 0:07, Filip M. Nowak wrote:
>>
>>     > “The irony of quantum computing is that if you can imagine someone
>>     > building a quantum computer that can break encryption a few
>>     decades into
>>     > the future, then you need to be worried right now,” Lidar said. [1]
>>
>>     There exists already quantum-computing resistant crypto algorithms:
>>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTRUEncrypt
>>
>>     Perhaps it's about time to start talking about implementing them in
>>     GnuPG?
>
> By starting with changes in standard(s) which tools like PGP or GnuPG
> are implementing.
>
> Some other, good points were mentioned here:
>
> http://secushare.org/PGP
>
> Of course we can negate need of improvement by statements really popular
> these days like: "compilers, libcs and OSes kernels have so many holes
> it's not worth to care anyway"

      Well, everything has flaws and limitations. If we did not care
about addressing them, we would still be in loinclothes living in
caves. And, I do not think I look nice in loinclothes; they do not
match my eye colour.

> But this is rather questionable approach I think.
>
>> May be we can make better encryption algoritms with quantum computers
>> and will replace actual standards
>
> You seems to be missing the point:
>
> "if you can imagine someone building a quantum computer that can break
> encryption a few decades into the future, then you need to be worried
> right now"

      Also, isn't the point that technology keep evolving, as in for
each new threat there will also be a new defense for such threat.