USB key form-factor smart-card readers with pinpads?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Jan 5 13:27:42 CET 2014

On Sun,  5 Jan 2014 05:02, sam.kuper at uclmail.net said:

> conventional USB stick-sized readers (e.g. Omnikey 6121) + ID-000

Take care: The Omnikey does not work with free software and 2048 bit
or larger keys.  Better get a Gemalto or Identive (SCM) reader.

> In group 2 above, the smallest reader I have found online which offers
> secure PIN entry is the ACR83.

The question is whether this is really helpful.  Yes, it protects your
PIN but it does not protect the use of your decryption key.  Even if the
latter would be changed, it would also be quite inconvenient to enter
the PIN for each encryption.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner