gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=3d)

raffaelr at gmx.de raffaelr at gmx.de
Mon Jan 13 21:07:17 CET 2014

Hello everyone,

something wrecked my keyring, there was a pubring.gpg~ in my home
folder, a few days old, that still worked. Is there a smart way to find
out what caused the problem?

I run GnuPG 1.4.14 (Ubuntu), with thunderbird/enigmail. In Enigmail I
couldn't manage keys or encrypt messages anymore. In the terminal I got
the following error (together with the keys) when I ran
$ gpg --list-keys [1]
> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=3d)
> gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
> gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: invalid keyring

I guess that there was a problem with a key I tried to fetch from a
keyserver, but I am not sure about it.

Cheers,
Raffael

[1] same with