Any way for two correspondents to set up gnupg within a few moments without having to become expert?

fa-ml fa-ml at ariis.it
Thu Jan 16 12:39:59 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 05:34:34AM -0500, Don Warner Saklad wrote:
> Any way for two correspondents to set up gnupg within a few moments
> without having to become expert?
>
> The usual gnupg materials are very dense.

The most "complex" part is generating and sharing your public keys, which
can be as easy as:

    gpg --gen-key
    gpg --send-key <your-key-id>
    gpg --search-key <name-or-mail-of-your-friend>
    gpg --fingerprint <name-or-mail-of-your-friend>

After checking (on the phone or on some other channel) that the fingerprint
matches, you can type

    gpg -e <file>

to encrypt a file. The commands are for the most part interactive, hence "easy
to follow").

Mail client integration becomes a must if you need to exchange more than
a few messages. I use mutt, but there are many other setups (Thunderbird &
Enigmail, claws-mail, etc.) that are PGP friendly.