Looking for simple wrapper for symmetric key file encryption

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 19 12:53:55 CET 2014

On 19-1-2014 7:50, Mr. Clif wrote:

> Does anyone use symmetric file encryption?

Yes, but only for encrypting files for personal use. Not in
communication with others.

> What is the best practice here?

As always, that depends on your use case and threat model.

> I heard of another solution which was to mount an encrypted
> directory with fuser to drop files into.

Possible, I use TrueCryot containers for that but that's similar
(although more portable and usable on "that other  OS").

> I think I would wounder how
> safe the passphrase was for mounted filesystems,

Are you asking how long it would take to brute-force the pasword, how
difficult it is to snoop it or if there are known vulnarabilities in the
symmetric encryption used by gnupg, fuser or others?

Remember the weakest link in all encryption: https://xkcd.com/538/

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers