Reusing signed user ID or attribute

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sun Jan 19 17:21:14 CET 2014

On 01/19/2014 09:55 AM, Daniele Ricci wrote:
> Ok, so I have to conclude it's implementation specific?
> I'm using a custom user attribute to store something that can change
> quite often (privacy lists for a chat user). What do you suggest?

I don't know what a "privacy list for a chat user" is.  You should
probably try to document what you are trying to achieve more clearly,
and present it in a public forum where people can help you think through
possible ways to achieve it.

This thread started off by asking about user IDs or attributes, which
seems to assume that this is the only way to provide the information
you're looking for.  But an OpenPGP notation (stored within the
self-signature) could also provide that information directly.

User IDs and User Attributes are for information that you need or want
third parties to confirm and certify.  Information in an OpenPGP
notation does *not* need to be confirmed or certified by third parties.
 So if Alice wants to indicate something about her preferences about how
to use chat, she can do so in a notation subpacket within her self-sig.

does this make sense?

	--dkg